top of page

New Jersey Residents Getting Married Abroad

Congratulations on your decision to marry! For an increasing number of couples, being married on a beach, in a castle, or on a mountain in a foreign country is a dream wedding. However, getting married in a foreign nation necessitates considerable meticulous preparation, not just to ensure that the food and flowers are perfect, but also to guarantee that the wedding is legal and that you have all of the appropriate documentation.

Gather and apostille all essential documents as your first step. The first thing you'll need is a valid US passport and birth certificate, as well as any proof of a prior marriage ending (divorce, annulment or death certificate ). If all of these documents originated in New Jersey, then they can all get an Apostille from the New Jersey Department of State. The next need is that you have a document declaring that you are free to marry, such as a no record of marriage affidavit or a single status affidavit.

After you've gathered all of these documents, you'll need to have them apostilled and translated into the proper language. Documents are only valid for six months in most situations, so don't start the procedure nine months before the wedding.

Whether if you decide to outsource the legwork to American Apostille & Notary services or no, please take my advise on this. Personnel from the United States' embassies and consulates are unable to conduct weddings in other nations.

There is no margin for error with the Authentication or Apostille process. If mistakes are made, both your time and money will be wasted and you'll have to start all over again. If you want to look into outsourcing this part of preparing to studying abroad to someone with experience, please email me at or call 848-467-7740 to request my services or learn more.


bottom of page