top of page

Americans Adopting Children from China

First and foremost, I want to express my gratitude for devoting your time and money to raising a child who isn't your own through adoption. All adoption legalization services costs at American Apostille & Notary Services are reduced as a token of my appreciation. China is not a member of the Hague Convention, therefore, an Apostille is not sufficient for Americans looking to certify documents for use in China. Adoptions from Chinese citizens' children in China by American citizens or foreigners residing in the United States (hereafter referred to as adopters) must follow the terms of China's Adoption Law.

Adopters must prepare the following papers in order to do so:

  • Adoption Application, stating a clear desire to adopt a Chinese child who, if adopted, shall be raised and educated in a healthy way.

  • Birth Certificate(s).

  • Marriage Certificate (if applicable).

  • Single adopters shall submit documents attesting to single status. The unmarried shall submit statement to show that they are unmarried and they are not homosexuals*. The divorced shall submit their divorce decree of their previous marriage. The bereft spouse shall submit the certificate of the death of their spouse.

* China's Adoption Law, which doesn't express the views of American Apostille & Notary Services

  • Certificates of profession. "Unemployed" applicants must submit a statement of unemployment. Retired applicants must submit a statement of retirement.

  • Financial Statement.

  • Health examination certificate(s).

  • Proof of no criminal record.

  • Certificate of child adoption approval by the competent authorities of the United States (I171H).

  • Family background report (Home Study), including the status of the adoption applicant, the qualification and appropriateness of the adoption, family conditions, health history, adoption motive and features suitable for the care of the child. Attach to the home study report: A copy of the agency license, a copy of the agreement between International Adoption Agency and the Agency and the Agency conducting the home study, and a copy of a guardianship statement for single adopters.

  • Copy of Adoption Applicant's Passport.

  • Two passport photos of the adoptive family. Six family life photos and two home shots (One inside and one outside).

Except for items 11 and 12, all of the above-mentioned documents should be notarized by a notary public or certified by the custodian of the records, certified by the competent Secretary of State in the country from which the documents originated, authenticated by the US State Department, and then further authenticated by the Chinese Embassy in Washington, DC.

The authentication process could be a complicated one. Email me at or call 848-467-7740 to request my services or learn more.


bottom of page