top of page

Apostille for a Certificate of Naturalization

Updated: Mar 7

Certificate of Naturalization Apostille

A Certificate of Naturalization is a document that proves the individual identified on it has become a citizen of the United States via naturalization. Naturalization is the process through which a person who was not born in the United States voluntarily becomes a citizen of the United States. Naturalization is the most popular route for foreign-born people to become citizens of the United States. This is not the same as a Certificate of Citizenship.

The bottom margin of your naturalization paperwork should say "Form N-550" or "Form N-570."

How to Get a Certificate of Naturalization

A person first acquires a certificate by completing the naturalization procedure and filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Permanent residents who satisfy the qualifying conditions must usually fill out this form. The certificate is usually issued by USCIS after an officer has approved the Naturalization Application and the applicant has taken the Oath of Allegiance.

Replacing a Certificate of Naturalization

American citizens can file Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document, with USCIS to replace a Certificate of Naturalization. A certificate can be replaced for the following reasons:

  • Certificate was lost, stolen, destroyed or mutilated

  • Certificate is incorrect due to a USCIS typographical/clerical error

  • Name has legally changed

  • Gender has legally changed

Certificate of Naturalization Contents

The Certificate of Naturalization provides information that identifies the individual and confirms his or her citizenship in the United States as a result of naturalization. The certificate comprises the following information:

  • Certificate number (generally a red 6- to 8-digit alphanumeric number)

  • Date of issuance (date the holder became a U.S. citizen)

  • USCIS registration number (A-number)

  • U.S. citizen’s full name

  • Marital status

  • Place of residence

  • Country of former nationality

  • Photograph

  • Signature of applicant; and

  • Other descriptors: sex, date of birth, and height

The document also includes a Department of Homeland Security seal as well as a statement and signature from the USCIS Director stating that the applicant met all of the conditions for citizenship under US law.

Certified True Copy of Certificate

When a naturalized U.S. citizen wants a certificate "authenticated" for use by foreign governments or embassies, USCIS can replicate the document and certify it as a true copy. The United States Department of State and other countries use the word "authentication" to describe what USCIS calls Certified True Copies. Use the term "Certified True Copy" when requiring USCIS to validate a naturalization certificate.

Certificate of Naturalization Apostille

Only the United States Department of State in Washington, D.C. can apostille a Certificate of Naturalization. This document cannot be notarized or certified, and it cannot be processed by any State authority. The Secretary of the United States of America or the United States Department of State processes all federal paperwork in the United States.

Apostilles will be applied to documents bound for nations that are members of the Hague Apostille Convention. The US Department of State will attach a certificate to nations that are not members.

Please visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, at if you do not have your Certificate of Naturalization. If you don't want to mail in the original, you can ask the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (UCIS) to certify a duplicate of your document.

There is no margin for error with the authentication or apostille process. If mistakes are made, both your time and money will be wasted and you'll have to start all over again. If you want to look into outsourcing this part of preparing to study abroad to someone with experience, please email me at or call 848-467-7740 to request my services or learn more.

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page