top of page

Wyoming Birth Certificate Apostille

Updated: Jan 18, 2022

When you need to apostille a Wyoming birth certificate, you will need to make sure to have a certified copy of the vital record beforehand. If you need to order one, your best bet is to go through the Wyoming Department of Health. Here's what their website says about obtaining one:

This office is only able to issue certificates for those events that occurred in Wyoming. If the birth didn’t occur in Wyoming, we can’t issue a record.

If your vital event occurred in another state, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) “Where to Write web page to find contact information for other states and territories.

Birth Certificate Details

Birth certificates may be obtained by:

  • Registrant if 18 years of age

  • Either parent named on the certificate

  • Lawyer representing the registrant or parent(s)

  • Legal guardian with Court Ordered Guardianship papers

Be Sure to Provide the Following Information

  • Full name on birth record

  • Date of birth

  • City or county of birth

  • Full names of both parents including mother’s maiden name

    • The mother’s maiden name is her name prior to first marriage (her last name when she was born)

  • Signature of parent or the individual themselves if over 18 years of age

    • If the request is signed by a legal guardian a copy of the court order establishing this must be provided along with the application.

  • Mailing address where record is to be mailed.

  • Identification: Requests must include a current photocopy of the driver’s license, State ID card, or passport of the person requesting the certificate. We will also accept a notarized signature of the person making the request. If the person named on the certificate doesn’t have ID, a parent who has ID may request the certificate.

Important Notes

  • Wyoming does not offer a free birth certificate for newborn babies.

  • Many Wyoming hospitals offer a souvenir certificate; this copy is not legal and is not provided by this office. Vital Statistics Services prints certified copies of records that will be used throughout a person’s lifetime.

  • Often, it may take longer to obtain a newborn certificate as we are waiting on the information to be transmitted to our office for filing.

  • The fee for obtaining birth certificates by mail is $25

  • Normally, no more than a total of five certified copies of a birth certificate are requested in a person’s lifetime. Therefore, any time four or more certified copies are requested we must have a form completed, notarized and returned to our office. If you are requesting four or more certificates or know you have requested this many previously, please complete this Excessive Certificates Form and mail with your request.

  • If you do not have a birth record on file, you will be sent instructions for filing a Delayed Birth Certificate, and your $25 fee will be retained as a searching fee.

  • Birth records are on file since July 1909. Records that are over 100 years old should be obtained from Wyoming State Archives.

  • In situations involving foreign countries, an apostille may be needed. An apostille is a method of authenticating a document for use in another country. With this authentication a document is recognized in the country of intended use without further action necessary from a consulate or embassy. The Secretary of State’s Office provides the apostille service, which requires a SEPARATE FORM and SEPARATE PAYMENT. If you have further questions regarding the apostille process please contact the Services Division using the information provided on the Secretary of State Contact Page. For general information, FAQs, and the Authentication Request Form please use the following site: More information about apostilles from the Wyoming Secretary of State.

Payment and Expediting Requests

Requests should be submitted along with the fee. Money orders or a bank-personalized check from the person making the request should be made payable to Vital Statistics Services. Please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope with the request. All personal checks are only accepted when:

  • The requestor is entitled to the record and

  • The check is bank-personalized and on the account of the person making the request

Third-party or non-bank personalized checks will not be processed.

Send to: Vital Statistics Services 2300 Capitol Avenue Hathaway Building Cheyenne, WY 82002 (307) 777-7591

  • Requests can be sent to Vital Statistics Services by any overnight delivery service. If you wish to have your certificates returned by means other than first class mail, please supply us with a Pre-Paid, self-addressed envelope for FedEx, UPS, or US Postal express mail. Both FedEx and UPS envelopes will be required to have a FedEx or UPS Account Number listed on the label and should list your address as both the sender and the addressee. We cannot accept labels that have a credit card number listed, these requests will be sent out First Class mail if received.

  • We will process all requests as quickly as possible, but be aware it can take up to five business days for a request to be processed.

Report Lost or Stolen Birth Certificates

Printable Form for Stolen Birth Certificates or those records that have been lost where they could be found by other persons.


You must complete an application and submit it with the appropriate fee and ID to have the birth certificate replaced.

Apostille for Wyoming Birth Certificate When you are in the United States and you need to conduct this sort of business internationally, an apostille most likely will be required. There is no margin for error with the authentication or apostille process. If mistakes are made, both your time and money will be wasted and you'll have to start all over again. If you want to look into outsourcing this service to someone with experience, please email me at or call 848-467-7740 to request my services or learn more.

4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page