top of page

International Intellectual Property (IP) Apostille: Protecting your Patent or Trademark Overseas

Patents and trademarks obtained in the United States are only valid in the United States and cannot be transferred to other nations.

You may need to authenticate patent or trademark paperwork in the following situations:

  • If you want to sell your products in other countries, you may either buy patents in those nations or file for foreign patent protection.

  • Selling your patent or trademark to a firm based in another country

You must first demonstrate that you possess the patent or trademark in the United States, as well as be able to authenticate the paperwork.

As The Hague Convention of 1961 established a uniform process for authenticating documents, the Patent Cooperation Treaty, which came into effect in 1978, facilitates the filing of an application for patents for member countries by providing uniform filing procedures and a standardized application format.

What are the differences between these terms?

Trademark - a symbol, name, work, logo, or design used to symbolize the creation of products that is protected by a trademark.

Patent - a property right granted to an inventor for a novel product that prevents others from producing the same thing.

Intellectual Property Law (IP) is concerned with the legal protection of creative works and inventions. It decides who is allowed to utilize the creations, such as new goods, creative works, and designs. The goal of intellectual property law is to allow those who develop and invent things to profit from their efforts.

There is no margin for error with the Authentication or Apostille process. If mistakes are made, both your time and money will be wasted and you'll have to start all over again. If you want to look into outsourcing this part of preparing to studying abroad to someone with experience, please email me at or call 848-467-7740 to request my services or learn more.

13 views0 comments


bottom of page