top of page

American Expat Apostille

An American Expatriate, or “Expat” for short, is an American citizen living and/or working in another country that’s not his or her country, often temporarily and for work reasons. An American Expat can also be an individual who has willingly relinquished citizenship in the United States to become a citizen of another country. In most cases, Americans living and/or working abroad will require an American Expat Apostille for important documents often requested by foreign nations. 


American Expat Apostilles can only be issued for documents issued in countries that are members of the 1961 Hague Apostille Convention and can only be used in countries that are also party to the Convention. If the country of destination is a “Non-Hague Country” or a country that’s not a party to the 1961 Hague Apostille Convention then Embassy Legalization must be obtained. 


There are several steps involved with obtaining an American Expat Apostille while abroad. Once you have obtained a copy of your official document, the next step is to Apostille your paperwork. For this step, the document and applicable payment in U.S. dollars must be sent to the Secretary of State. If your document needs to be Authenticated through the Embassy or Consulate, they will need to be contacted and the paperwork mailed to them.


An American Expat Apostille certifies that the public document to which it relates originated in the United States. The Apostille certifies the authenticity of the signature or seal of the person or authority that signed or sealed the public document, and the capacity in which this was done.

Documents that often require American Expat Apostilles when living and/or working abroad include but are not limited to birth certificates, powers of attorney, FBI background check certificates, Social Security letters, and government pensions. It’s best to find out what documents will be requested from you prior to contacting our office regarding your American Expat Apostille.

bottom of page