top of page

Single Status Affidavit Apostille

A growing number of people are getting married abroad. Many couples choose to have their ideal wedding in foreign destinations such as the Caribbean coast, the vineyards of Italy, and even the Swiss Alps. No matter where you're going, you must make sure that all of your legal documents are in order before you depart from the United States. One important legal document is a Single Status Affidavit Apostille. 


Getting Married Abroad


Personnel from the American consulate and embassy are not permitted to marry citizens of other nations. Marriages are typically performed by local civil or religious authorities, depending on the laws of the foreign country. 


If a marriage is entered into in conformity with local law, it is recognized as valid in the country where it occurs. The laws of the country where the marriage is to be recognized determine whether or not the marriages performed abroad are recognized as valid.


It can be costly and time-consuming to get married abroad. Procedures differ from country to country and might require extensive planning. Before you travel, you should research the criteria of the country where you intend to get married.


What is a Single Status Affidavit Apostille?


You must provide documentation proving your legal right to wed in order to get married abroad, and the documents must also be apostilled. The Single Status Affidavit certifies that you are eligible to marry in accordance with local laws and that you are not already married in an official way.


The Single Status Affidavit must be apostilled or legalized for it to be recognized by the destination country being that marriage is a legally binding contract. A Single Status Affidavit Apostille may also be required for employment in some countries.


Other Terms for Single Status Affidavit Apostille


The following terms may be used for a Single Status Affidavit Apostille:


  • No Record of Marriage

  • Certificate of Freedom to Marry

  • Certificate of No Impediment for Marriage

  • Certificate of No Record – Marriage

  • Affidavit of Single Status

  • Affidavit of Marriageability

  • Certificate of No Public Record

  • Eligibility to Marry

  • Affidavit of Civil Status

bottom of page