top of page

Apostille for Vermont Marriage Certificate

Updated: Jan 18, 2022

When you need to apostille a Vermont marriage certificate, you will need to make sure to have a certified copy of the vital record beforehand. If you need to order one, your best bet is to go through the Vermont Department of Health. Here's what their website says about obtaining one:

Couples planning to marry in Vermont may complete the Application for Vermont License of Civil Marriage form online and bring it to the town clerk in their town of residence. If neither applicant is a resident of Vermont, then the application may be presented to any town clerk within Vermont. The clerk issues a license that the couple takes to an officiant. The officiant signs, dates, and returns the license to the town clerk. Then the town clerk records and files the certificate and sends a certified copy to the Health Department.

Civil unions were established in Vermont in 2000 to provide same-sex couples all the benefits, protections and responsibilities under law as are granted to spouses in a marriage. The marriage equality act, effective September 1, 2009 allows same-sex couples to marry in Vermont. This discontinued the need for the separate status of "civil unions." Civil unions entered into prior to September 1, 2009 will continue to be recognized as civil unions.


  • Application for Certified Copy of Marriage from 2014 to Present from the Vermont Department of Health

  • Application for Certified Copy of Marriage from 2013 or earlier from the Vermont State Archives Records Administration

  • Application for Certified Copy of Civil Union for all years from the Vermont State Archives Records Administration

Vermont Marriage Certificate Apostille

When you are in the United States and you need to conduct this sort of business internationally, an apostille most likely will be required. There is no margin for error with the authentication or apostille process. If mistakes are made, both your time and money will be wasted and you'll have to start all over again. If you want to look into outsourcing this service to someone with experience, please email me at or call 848-467-7740 to request my services or learn more.

4 views0 comments


bottom of page