top of page

Apostille for Nebraska Birth Certificate

When you need to apostille a Nebraska birth certificate, you will need to make sure to have a certified copy of the vital record beforehand. If you need to order one, your best bet is to go through the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. Here's what their website says about obtaining one:

The Office of Vital Records preserves birth, death, marriage and divorce records which occur in Nebraska. The records maintained by this office are issued as legal certified copies and are printed on multi-colored security paper with a digitally enhanced state seal. Certified certificates are used for providing proof of self and in obtaining records such as a driver's license, Social Security cards, passports, registering for school, sporting activities, transfer of property and for collecting retirement benefits or life insurance.

You may obtain a birth certificate by meeting proper purpose .

(Applications may be charged to a Visa or MasterCard)

By Mail​

To get a birth certificate by mail, send a $17.00 check or money order made out to "Vital Records" (no credit cards). Include the following information:

  • Child's full name on record. If adopted, list adoptive name and state "adopted"

  • Month/day/year of birth

  • City or town of birth/County of birth

  • Father's/Parent's full name at birth. If adopted, list adoptive father's name.

  • Mother's/Parent's full name at birth. If adopted, list adoptive mother's maiden name.

  • Why do you need the record?

  • If not your record, how are you related?

  • A photocopy of the current government-issued photo ID of the person making the application, i.e. current driver's license

  • Quicker Service Options

Application Types

  • Birth Certificate Application Form - (Complete, print and mail to DHHS.) Nebraska Vital Records P.O. Box 95065, Lincoln, Nebraska 68509-5065

  • Application for Amendment With Instructions : If adding the father to the birth certificate, please contact this office for instructions and the proper form. (402) 471-2871.

  • Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth Application (Apply by mail or walk-in.)

  • Request for Access to Birth Information: (PRIOR TO September 1, 1988) (AFTER September 1, 1988)

  • Nonviable Birth, Commemorative Certificate for the passing of a baby before birth. A nonviable birth is an unintentional, spontaneous fetal demise occurring prior to the twentieth week of gestation during pregnancy that has been verified by a health practitioner. (This commemorative certificate is not proof of a live birth).

The certificate is retroactive and covers infants from 0-20 weeks of gestation, in a pregnancy verified by a health care practitioner. There are two routes available to obtain the certificate: 1) a letter with the signature of the healthcare practitioner or their designee or 2) an application and a worksheet . A health care practitioner/health care facility will advise a patient who experiences a nonviable birth that the patient may request a commemorative certificate and, upon request of the patient, shall provide a letter verifying the nonviable birth to the patient.

If using a letter the following information is required:

  • Signature of the health care practitioner or their designee

  • Full name of baby (if named)

  • Month, day and year of loss

  • City, town and county of loss

  • Mother's full current legal name (first, middle last, suffix)

  • Father's full current legal name (first, middle last, suffix) (if known)

Mail a check or Money Order for $19.00 (no credit cards) and a photocopy of the current government-issued ID of the patient to:

Nebraska Vital Records P.O. Box 95065, Lincoln, Nebraska 68509-5065

Nebraska Birth Certificate Apostille

There is no margin for error with the Authentication or Apostille process. If mistakes are made, both your time and money will be wasted and you'll have to start all over again. If you want to look into outsourcing this part of preparing to studying abroad to someone with experience, please email me at or call 848-467-7740 to request my services or learn more.

18 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page